The study of history and the social sciences is vital in a democratic society. All students need to know and understand our national heritage in order to become informed participants in shaping our nation’s future. The History and Social Science Standards of Learning are designed to:
- develop the knowledge and skills of history, geography, civics, and economics that enable students to place the people, ideas, and events that have shaped our state and our nation in perspective;
- enable students to understand the basic values, principles, and operation of American constitutional democracy;
- prepare students for informed and responsible citizenship;
- develop students’ skills in debate, discussion, and writing; and
- provide students with a framework for continuing education in history and the social sciences.